[EM] Yee diagrams and Condorcet

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Wed Jul 13 19:12:41 PDT 2011

If we abandon the Euclidean metric, then we also abandon Voronoi Polygons; the corresponding idea for
more general metrics is that of a Dirichlet region.

It would be amusing to see Yee diagrams based on L_1 and L_infinity metrics

Of course, Yee uses the  L_2 metric to make his pictures rotationally invariant to fit with his rotationally
invariant bi-variate normal distributions.

If an L_2 metric is not used, then the pairwise distances between the candidates do not determine the
diagram; their orientation must also be taken into account.

The whole idea of Yee diagrams was to show that certain methods (like IRV) could botch elections
under the most ideal conditions.

Bad methods can yield good Yee diagrams, but methods that yield bad Yee diagrams flunk the test.

If a method looks good under the Yee-scope, and it is also monotone and clone independent, then it
needs only one other quality for my support; it must be simple to vote.

By "simple to vote," I mean two things:  (1) The ballot is easy to understand and complete, and (2)
strategic voters have little or no advantage over non-strategic voters.

I don't care as much whether the method is easy to count or easy to understand the details of the
counting procedure.  That would be nice, but not as necessayr as the other features.

Think of the Huntington Hill method of apportionment that is used in this country after every census.
How many voters understand its details?  Less than one in a thousand, but that doesn't matter; they
understand the proportionality goal of apportionment, and they are willing to let the experts take care of
the details.

How many voters in Australia understand or care about the Droop quota?  If they've heard about it, then
they might know that it helps distribute the representation proportionately.  In any case they don't fret
about it.

I haven't seen any Yee diagrams for SODA, but so far I think it has the best chance of fulfilling all of
these requirements.