[EM] Median-based Proportional Representation

Warren Smith warren.wds at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 19:40:28 PDT 2011

Sorry, as Jameson pointed out, he has invented a voting method he calls AT-TV
which (he claims)
 1. obeys a proportional representation theorem
  2. in the single-winner case reduces to median-based range voting.

I should update http://rangevoting.org/MedianVrange.html
to reflect that.  Why haven't I? Partly laziness/busyness, and partly because I
do not really understand AT-TV and the theorem it satisfies (which is
related).  Sorry for my faults.  I've been busy working on a different
project.

Jameson ran AT-TV on a real-world 9-winner election and claimed in that election
it gave the same results as STV.

Toby Pereira's suggestion for turning median-based-range voting into a PR system
is a pretty ridiculous "kludge" but yes, technically, it works.   It
is kind of a matter of
opinion what is a "natural generalization" of median-based range to
multiwinner PR,
and what is an "unnatural kludge."   In my subjective view TP's
suggestion is clearly the latter and I suppose that kind of ugly
approach could be used to (technically) turn virtually any
single-winner voting method into a PR multiwinner method.  It is
really ugly though
and his transformation can distort a voter's preference A>B to B>A,
which I would
hope a lot of people would find very disturbing as step 1 in any election.
    I offer no opinion on whether AT-TV is "natural generalization" or
"unnatural kludge."  I also have little clue whether AT-TV or RRV is
better as a voting method.

--
Warren D. Smith
http://RangeVoting.org  <-- add your endorsement (by clicking