[EM] Median-based Proportional Representation

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 16:27:12 PDT 2011

2011/7/8 Toby Pereira <tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk>

> While discussing median-based range voting -
> http://rangevoting.org/MedianVrange.html, Warren Smith says "Average-based
> range voting generalizes to a *multiwinner* proportional representation<http://rangevoting.org/PropRep.html>voting system called reweighted
> range voting <http://rangevoting.org/RRV.html>. (See papers 78 and 91 here<http://www.math.temple.edu/~wds/homepage/works.html>.)
> But there currently is no known way to generalize median-based range voting
> to do that."

I've told Warren to change that, and he hasn't given me a clear criterion
for what I have to do so he will. I've created a system called AT-TV which
is PR and reduces to a median-based system in the single-winner case. It's
Bucklin-like, in that there is a falling approval threshold, and when a
candidate gets enough approvals to be elected (a Droop quota) they are,
which "uses up" those votes (except for the excess). So in a one-winner
case, it's based on 50th percentile (median), but in, for instance, a
3-winner case, it would be (pseudo-)maximizing the elected candidates'
75th-percentile score, not their 50th-percentile. I think this is the
appropriate thing to do in the multi-winner "median" case.

JQ