[EM] Median-based Proportional Representation

Toby Pereira tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 8 16:19:30 PDT 2011

While discussing median-based range voting -
http://rangevoting.org/MedianVrange.html, Warren Smith says "Average-based range
voting generalizes to a multiwinner proportional representation voting system
called reweighted range voting. (See papers 78 and 91 here.) But there currently
is no known way to generalize median-based range voting to do that."

So I was thinking about how you might get a median-based PR system, using range
voting, or some other score system, such as Borda Count. I don't think there is
necessarily a "perfect" method but I did come up with something (possibly
ridiculous). You find a way to convert the scores of the candidates so that a
candidate's median score becomes their mean score. For example, if a candidate's
mean was 5 (out of 10) and their median was 7, their scores would undergo some
sort of transformation so that their mean score became 7. Likewise if someone
had a mean of 7 and a median of 5, their scores would undergo a transformation
to reduce the mean to 5.

One way to do this is as follows: Convert the range so that it becomes 0 to 1
(so in a 0-10 case, just divide all scores by 10). Then for each candidate you
convert their score s to s^n where n is the number for that particular candidate
that will make the original median score the mean of the transformed scores. For
n over 1 the score will be reduced and for n under 1, the score will increase.
So each candidate has their own value of n.

Once all the scores have been converted, you can just do whatever you would have
done in your non-median-based PR system to find the winning candidates.

Obviously, this is a bit of a fudge because although we are fixing the mean for
each candidate to what we want, the rest of the scores just end up how they end
up. There would be different conversion systems that convert median to mean but
give different values for the other scores.

Just looking at the median and mean here could be seen as a bit arbitrary. As
well as converting median to mean, we would ideally also want to convert other
percentiles accordingly. We'd want to convert the 25th percentile score to the
25th "permeantile"*, or whatever the term is. (Is there a term?) But it would
actually be impossible to do this properly. With repeated scores (which would
always happen where there are more voters than possible scores), different
percentile values will have the same score. For example, if someone's median
score is 5, it's likely to also be 5 at the 51st percentile. But, as far as I
understand it, the "permeantile" would not be able to have a flat gradient at
any point, unless it's flat all the way across. So we couldn't have a "perfect"
system that worked on this basis. So for simplicity we can just use the system
as described.

Of course, with range voting, people might vote approval style, so many
candidates might simply have a median of 0 or 10. In that case the only
"reasonable" conversion would be to convert all their scores to 0 or 10
respectively. This problem wouldn't occur to the same degree under Borda Count,
however.

*I was thinking about how you would calculate permeantiles. In a uniform
distribution between 0 and 1, the 25th permeantile would be 0.25. If you weight
the averages of each side 3 to 1 in favour of the smaller side of the
permeantile (0 to 0.25), and average these, then you get 0.25. (3*0.125 +
1*0.625) / 4 = 0.25. So for the 10th permeantile, you have (9*0.05 + 1*0.55) /
10 = 0.1 and so on. I imagine this would work for non-uniform distributions too.
(Sorry for going off topic.)