[EM] New tryIRV free IRV survey website online

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Thu Jul 7 19:41:19 PDT 2011

Downright curious how we skip over what is presented between  our
eyes!!!

I recommended paying more attention to Condorcet Internet Voting
Service.  Less than a dozen lines after reading my reference to CIVS
below, Robert wished for exactly that!

0n Jul 7, 2011, at 9:50 PM, robert bristow-johnson wrote:
> On Jul 7, 2011, at 7:26 PM, Dave Ketchum wrote:
>
>> Ouch!
> i missed it.
>
>> .     As Kristofer just wrote, Condorcet is a much better method
>> than IRV for what you are promising - Interesting that Condorcet
>> offers (more than) the same voter ranking capabilities as IRV, but
>> does much better counting.
>
> i think the major argument for Condorcet is that it is the most
> consistent with the binary election of any pair.  isn't that sorta
> what Pareto efficiency is about?

Can help that, while we find fault with IRV, voters can be learning
via IRV how they would interface with Condorcet.

> we all agree how an election between only two candidates should be
> evaluated given equal weight between voters (that is the true
> meaning of "One person, one vote" and i'm still appalled that this
> slogan was used by the IRV-repeal people).  it should be no
> different if a third candidate is added unless that third candidate
> beats both A and B.  there is no justification for why this third
> candidate should reverse the preference of the electorate regarding
> A and B.  if it's Condorcet compliant and if there is a Condorcet
> winner, then the outcome is no different than it would be if the CW
> runs against any of the other candidates.  the electorate, when
> asked and given equal weight to voters, say that they prefer this
> candidate over every other candidate.
>
>> .     CIVS offers, available now, what you seem to be trying.
>> Recommend you study this description of CIVS and consider what it
>> offers:   http://www.cs.cornell.edu/andru/civs.html
>>
>> Dave Ketchum
>>
>> On Jul 7, 2011, at 10:25 AM, Sand W wrote:
>>
>>> I hope everyone is interested in a new online survey site intended
>>> to prove how much better IRV-enabled surveys are than traditional
>>> "one choice" or approval surveys.
>
> can you provide a ranked-choice survey that is Condorcet compliant
> rather than IRV?
>
> if your survey page has the ranked ballot that IRV uses, you can
> evaluate the survey by different methods.  why not give the users a
> choice?  some might pick Borda (cough, cough).
>
> hey, this would actually be useful information for academic study.
> make the tools available (like in the website that performs the
> surveys) and the choice of several election methods, including
> traditional vote-for-one/plurality, Approval, ranked-choice
> (whatever Condorcet, IRV, Borda, Bucklin), and Score voting.  find
> out which ones are more preferred by users of the survey tools.

Actually, studying their preferences for others, by users of such
tools, may be a bit much.  We need to  talk to average voters, and to
the politicians that are willing to help the voters a bit, SO LONG AS
it does not hurt themselves too much.