[EM] New tryIRV free IRV survey website online

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Thu Jul 7 18:50:34 PDT 2011

On Jul 7, 2011, at 7:26 PM, Dave Ketchum wrote:

> Ouch!

i missed it.

> .     As Kristofer just wrote, Condorcet is a much better method
> than IRV for what you are promising - Interesting that Condorcet
> offers (more than) the same voter ranking capabilities as IRV, but
> does much better counting.

i think the major argument for Condorcet is that it is the most
consistent with the binary election of any pair.  isn't that sorta
what Pareto efficiency is about?

we all agree how an election between only two candidates should be
evaluated given equal weight between voters (that is the true meaning
of "One person, one vote" and i'm still appalled that this slogan was
used by the IRV-repeal people).  it should be no different if a third
candidate is added unless that third candidate beats both A and B.
there is no justification for why this third candidate should reverse
the preference of the electorate regarding A and B.  if it's Condorcet
compliant and if there is a Condorcet winner, then the outcome is no
different than it would be if the CW runs against any of the other
candidates.  the electorate, when asked and given equal weight to
voters, say that they prefer this candidate over every other candidate.

> .     CIVS offers, available now, what you seem to be trying.
> Recommend you study this description of CIVS and consider what it
> offers:   http://www.cs.cornell.edu/andru/civs.html
>
> Dave Ketchum
>
> On Jul 7, 2011, at 10:25 AM, Sand W wrote:
>
>> I hope everyone is interested in a new online survey site intended
>> to prove how much better IRV-enabled surveys are than traditional
>> "one choice" or approval surveys.

can you provide a ranked-choice survey that is Condorcet compliant
rather than IRV?

if your survey page has the ranked ballot that IRV uses, you can
evaluate the survey by different methods.  why not give the users a
choice?  some might pick Borda (cough, cough).

hey, this would actually be useful information for academic study.
make the tools available (like in the website that performs the
surveys) and the choice of several election methods, including
traditional vote-for-one/plurality, Approval, ranked-choice (whatever
Condorcet, IRV, Borda, Bucklin), and Score voting.  find out which
ones are more preferred by users of the survey tools.

just an idea.

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com