[EM] Learning from IRV's success

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 13:56:17 PDT 2011

Russ's message about simplicity is well-taken. But the most successful
voting reform is IRV - which is far from being the simplest reform. Why has
IRV been successful?

I want to leave this as an open question for others before I try to answer
it myself. The one answer which wouldn't be useful would be "Because CVD
(now FairVote) was looking for a single-winner version of STV". There's a
bit of truth there, but it's a long way from the whole truth, and we want to
find lessons we can learn from moving forward, not useless historical
accidents.

JQ