[EM] Has this idea been considered?

Russ Paielli russ.paielli at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 12:54:08 PDT 2011

Let me just elaborate on my concerns about complexity. Most of you probably
know most of this already, but let me just try to summ it up and put things
in perspective.

Some of the participants on this list are advanced mathematicians, and they
have been discussing these matters for years. As you all know, the topic of
election methods and voting systems can get very complicated. As far as I
know, there is still no consensus even on this list on what is the best
system. If there is no consensus here, how can you expect to get a consensus
among the general public?

But let's suppose a consensus is reached here on the EM list. What happens
next? You need to generate public awareness, which is a major task. As far
as the general public is concerned, there is no problem with the voting
system per se. Voters vote, and the votes are counted. The candidate with
the most votes wins. What else do you need?

So let's say we somehow manage to get widespread public awareness of the
deficiencies of the current plurality system. Then what? Eventually, and
actual change has to go through Congress. Try to imagine Senator Blowhard
grilling the experts on the proposed rules of their favorite system. It
would certainly be good for one thing: fodder for Jon Stewart and Steven
Colbert!

Also, consider the fierce opposition that would develop from any group that
thinks they would suffer. And who might that be? How about the two major
parties! Do you think they would have the power to stop it? For starters,
they would probably claim that any "complicated" vote transfer algorithm
cannot be used because it is not in the Constitution.

I realize that IRV has garnered considerable support and success. I suppose
that's a tribute to the "open-mindedness" of ultra-leftist enclaves such as
SF and Berkeley. On the other hand, it just goes to show that a
fundamentally flawed system can be sold in such enclaves.

Sorry if I'm coming across as negative. I'm just trying to be realistic. I
am a Republican, and I got interested again in the whole EM thing because of
what I see happening in the Republican primary, with so many candidates to
split the vote and so many potential voters seemingly oblivious to the
problem. I wish there were a good, viable solution, but I just don't see it
happening in the foreseeable future.

--Russ P.

http://RussP.us