[EM] Has this idea been considered?

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Thu Jul 7 13:46:47 PDT 2011

On Jul 7, 2011, at 3:54 PM, Russ Paielli wrote:

> Let me just elaborate on my concerns about complexity. Most of you
> probably know most of this already, but let me just try to summ it
> up and put things in perspective.
>
> Some of the participants on this list are advanced mathematicians,
> and they have been discussing these matters for years. As you all
> know, the topic of election methods and voting systems can get very
> complicated. As far as I know, there is still no consensus even on
> this list on what is the best system. If there is no consensus here,
> how can you expect to get a consensus among the general public?

Because we, hopefully, honor the different rules that make sense when
we are voting for the public, rather than what you properly complain
about.

> But let's suppose a consensus is reached here on the EM list. What
> happens next? You need to generate public awareness, which is a
> major task. As far as the general public is concerned, there is no
> problem with the voting system per se. Voters vote, and the votes
> are counted. The candidate with the most votes wins. What else do
> you need?

Need to start, before listening to your words, with how to let the
voters express their desires - something some of them realize need of
already.

> So let's say we somehow manage to get widespread public awareness of
> the deficiencies of the current plurality system. Then what?
> Eventually, and actual change has to go through Congress. Try to
> imagine Senator Blowhard grilling the experts on the proposed rules
> of their favorite system. It would certainly be good for one thing:
> fodder for Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert!

Congress is important for later - need to start with more lolcal
targets.

> Also, consider the fierce opposition that would develop from any
> group that thinks they would suffer. And who might that be? How
> about the two major parties! Do you think they would have the power
> to stop it? For starters, they would probably claim that any
> "complicated" vote transfer algorithm cannot be used because it is
> not in the Constitution.

Constitution?  Anyway, need to have a plan to have some idea about who
might agree/oppose.

> I realize that IRV has garnered considerable support and success. I
> suppose that's a tribute to the "open-mindedness" of ultra-leftist
> enclaves such as SF and Berkeley. On the other hand, it just goes to
> show that a fundamentally flawed system can be sold in such enclaves.

Above you said selling would be undoable; here you say what should
never get bought has demonstrated possibility of selling such?

Dave Ketchum