[EM] Has this idea been considered?

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Thu Jul 7 12:11:00 PDT 2011

Russ and Andrew each offer important thoughts.

Russ is right that overly complex methods will likely get rejected -
and I agree they deserve such, though Approval is not near to a
reasonable limit.

And Andrew is right that voters can accept something beyond Approval.
Reviewing the steps as voters might think of them:
.     Approval is simply being able to voye for more than one, as if
equals - easy to vote and easy to implement, but makes you wish for
more.
.     Condorcet adds ranking, so you can vote for unequals such as
Good that you truly like and Soso as second choice for being better
than Bad, that you would happily forget.
.     Reasonable part of the ranking is ranking two or more as equally
ranked.

So I looked for what Andrew was referring to as CIVS - seems like it
deserves more bragging than I have heard.  Voters can easily get
invited and vote via Internet in the flexibility doable that way.
Read more at http://www.cs.cornell.edu/andru/civs.html

Seems like CIVS would be good to use as is in many places where voting
via Internet makes sense - and shows using Condorcet - something
adaptable to the way we normally do elections.

Dave Ketchum