[EM] Has this idea been considered?

Andrew Myers andru at cs.cornell.edu
Wed Jul 6 10:48:05 PDT 2011

On 7/22/64 2:59 PM, Russ Paielli wrote:
> ...I eventually realized I was kidding myself to think that those
> schemes will ever see the light of day in major public elections. What
> is the limit of complexity that the general public will accept on a
> large scale? I don't know, but I have my doubts that anything beyond
> simple Approval will ever pass muster -- and even that will be a hard
> sell.
My experience with CIVS suggests that ranking choices is perfectly
comprehensible to ordinary people. There have been more than 3,000
elections run using CIVS, and more than 60,000 votes cast. These are not
technically savvy voters for the most part. To pick a few groups rather
arbitrarily, CIVS is being used daily by plant fanciers, sports teams,
book clubs, music lovers, prom organizers, beer drinkers, fraternities,
church groups, PBeM gamers, and families naming pets and (!) children.

If anything, to me ranking choices seems easier than Approval, because
the voter doesn't have to think about where to draw the
approve/disapprove cutoff, which I fear also encourages voters to think
strategically.

-- Andrew