[EM] What's wrong with the party list system?

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 18:08:11 PDT 2011

Thanks for the responses.  In response to the party leaders having too
much control, I believe it is possible to make "party-lists" on the
fly from voters' own rank choice ballots in a way that the most voters
would naturally support -- which would put the control into voters'
hands and treat all voters fairly and the same (unlike IRV and STV).
As soon as I have time, I'll write it up.

I appreciate the comments and agree with the problem of too much
control given to party leaders -- but think that it is solvable, and
that the Condorcet method can be used to resolve any ties with this
method.   It seems a little more complex than I like, but perhaps it
can be simply described and counted? Not sure yet.

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 2:06 PM,  <padraigdelgado at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi Kathy,
>
> I can't speak for the person who said it on this list but the primary reason for most people is that it gives control to party elites - those who select the party candidates and decide order on which they come on said list.
>
> Personally I think there are many ways to overcome that problem, and it can be a good method.

What, for instance?

Kathy Dopp
http://electionmathematics.org
Town of Colonie, NY 12304
"One of the best ways to keep any conversation civil is to support the
discussion with true facts."

Fundamentals of Verifiable Elections
http://kathydopp.com/wordpress/?p=174

View some of my research on my SSRN Author page:
http://ssrn.com/author=1451051