[EM] earlier-no-harm/help, edit again, MCA

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 14:52:34 PST 2011

> While I'm posting, Jameson, is it correct that you're using the term "MCA"
> to refer to rank methods only? In other words it includes ERBucklin but
> explicitly does not include the original ratings method MCA, or other forms
> of median rating?

No, the reverse. The term MCA refers to any rated method, with any number of
ratings available, in which, if there is a unique candidate with a majority
at or above any non-bottom ranking, that candidate wins. Different variants
can have different tiebreakers for multiple and/or failed majorities. This
includes the original MCA. I was also under the impression that, as a term,
it was more-or-less synonymous with ER-Bucklin; if, instead, ER-Bucklin
refers to a specific method, and a ranked one, then I was wrong in two ways.

Jameson