[EM] electing a variable number of seats

Andy Jennings elections at jenningsstory.com
Sat Feb 19 09:12:31 PST 2011

As far as iterative methods go, I like RRV.  It seems to be the natural way
to extend the divisor methods to work with range-style inputs.

But I feel like the combinatorial methods will give better proportionality
than iterative methods.  If there are lots of candidates, the best
four-winner set and the best five-winner set might be totally disjoint.
 Consider a worst-case, two-dimensional scenario:
- Voters are equally spaced around a circle.
- There are nine candidates, all of them on the same circle as the voters.
- The first four candidates form a perfect square and the last five form a
regular pentagon.
Obviously the first four candidates are the most representative 4-set and
the last five are the most representative 5-set.

It is clear that an apportionment method should be iterative to avoid the
Alabama paradox.  The number of representatives a state is assigned in the
legislature should not decrease if the size of the legislature increases.

But I don't think this paradox is that problematic when choosing winners in
a PR method.  Don't you think that people could be made to understand that
candidate A is a good representative if we're choosing four winners, but if
we're choosing five winners then we can choose an even more representative
set of winners that doesn't include A?

Andy Jennings