[EM] Re et al Chicken and Egg

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 12:03:48 PST 2011

> Yes. P_irv is currently greater than P_other. That is too bad. I think
> P_irv is actually more like an economic bubble, because of the unappetizing
> properties of P_irv. If we do nothing, then P_irv will at some point burst.
> (That's what Jameson's wager is about).

My wager was that if there are more than 20 reforms in place in the US 10
years from now, over half of them will be non-IRV. Like any broad,
long-term wager, I'd be happy to win however; but actually, I didn't really
propose the wager because I think IRV will be implemented and repealed, or
even because I think that IRV will stop getting new implementations.
Rather, I think that it's entirely possible in 10 years for a new reform
proposal to outgrow IRV. I'm guessing that IRV is AltaVista or MySpace, and
that the Google or Facebook of voting reform is yet to get off the ground.

Jameson