[EM] Re et al Chicken and Egg

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at lavabit.com
Wed Dec 21 05:51:12 PST 2011

And an addendum I forgot first time around. I hope this won't distract
you from the other post.

On 12/21/2011 05:10 AM, David L Wetzell wrote:

> Let me add RBJ that I really do appreciate your comments in response to
> Kathy Dodd.  I would add that if the GOP/Prog Haters cd go back in time
> to the '09 election then IRV would have worked better because more of
> them would have voted strategically for the Dem candidate as their first
> ranked choice.  So I'd say 2009 was a learning election....  and I have
> no problems whatsoever with some still having to vote strategically.  I
> see this as a consequence of how IRV retains a tendency for there to be
> 2 major parties.  What it does is makes it so those 2 major parties are
> more dynamically drawn to be centered around the shifting de facto center.

It's Dopp.

Also, let me see if I got this right. You're saying that instead of
having potentially direct multiparty rule by the use of an advanced
method (or at least, no worse a rule than under IRV), you want to have
two-party rule. You want to use a method that behaves strangely in
certain situations, and you want the voters to take up the burden of
making it behave properly by having them vote strategically.

So instead of a rule where people could vote mostly-honestly and could
possibly get multipartyism directly, you want something where people
still have to vote strategically and won't get anything more than
(possibly contested) two-party rule even when they do. And why? Because
all the momentum's with IRV?

Doesn't that sound a bit bizarre? "I know of a voting method where you
could vote honestly, but because FairVote got to IRV first, you'll just
have to pinch your nose and vote strategically under IRV instead". Do
you think that argument would go over well with the voters?

Why should we expect the voters to jump through hoops when electoral
reform is supposed to remove the need to jump through hoops? I could
understand your tradeoff if all that jumping through hoops gives you
something (e.g. multipartyism) the other rules don't, but IRV doesn't
even give you that.