[EM] Dave: IRV consensus? :-)

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 21 10:26:56 PST 2011

Dave said:

When smart people like you and others here state unequivocally that
Xoth>>Xirv it lowers Pirv without increasing Poth.

[endquote]

For one thing, what if it's true? Would you like us to lie then?

Unequivocally, IRV is crap. Anything that doesn't make people bury their favorite
and thereby preserve artificial 2-party domination is much, much better than IRV.

Just because a wealthy bungler has succeeded in enacting one of the worst
methods around the country doesn't mean we should all get in line behind him.

We have to all support IRV, because to speak frankly about what IRV is, would
lower the probability of getting Approval or an FBC/ABE method? What an odd
claim.

Dave continued:

Ethically, the burden
of proof is on those who oppose the working consensus proposal for reform
to show that their preferred approach is considerably better.

[endquote]

Dave, the consensus among people who discuss voting system is that IRV
brings no improvement over Plurality, and that single-winner reform
would be achieved only by something better than IRV. Like Approval or
Score Voting, for instance.

And its been abundantly shown that other methods are considerably, incomparably,
better than IRV.

IRVists haven't been convinced? They won't be. They're IRVists.Don't waste your
time debating with IRVists. Discuss and pursue single-winner reform.

Mike Ossipoff