[EM] Forest: MAMT

C.Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Tue Dec 13 11:19:33 PST 2011

Mike,

I can see how MAMT tries to meet Mono-add-Plump, but it fails.

49: C
27: A>B
24: B>A

MAMT (like all reasonable methods) elects A, but say we add 20 ballots
that plump for A.

49: C
27: A>B
24: B>A
20: A  (new ballots)

(120 ballots, majority threshold 61).

Now there are two "minimal subset" acquiescing majorities: {AB} 71 and
{CA}69. All three candidates are qualified so the most top-rated
candidate (C) wins.

A better method would  (instead of  "acquiescing majorities") use the
set I just defined in my last post.

*If there is a solid coalition of candidates S (as measured by the
number of ballots on which those candidates are strictly voted above all
others) that is bigger than the sum of all its rival solid coalitions
(i.e. those that contain some candidate not in S), then those candidates
not in the smallest such S are disqualified. Elect the most top-rated
qualified candidate.*

That does meet  Mono-add-Plump.  In the second election {AB}51's only
"rival" is {C}49.

But I'm not a fan of this either because it doesn't handle the small
wing spoiler smoothly like IRV  (and some other methods):

49: A
48: B
03: C>B

It, like MAMT and MMT  elects A   This is a failure of  Mutual Dominant
Third (met by IRV) and Condorcet and Minimal Defense.
Of course if the B voters change to B>C the winner changes to B, a
failure of Later-no-Help.

Chris Benham