[EM] SODA

Andy Jennings elections at jenningsstory.com
Mon Aug 8 07:28:34 PDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 6:35 AM, Warren Smith <warren.wds at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/SODA
>
> SODA is slightly more complicated for the voter since voter needs to
> check box saying she delegates her vote, or not.  Also more
> complicated in the sense that there is more information shoved in the
> voter's face.
> But those deficits are probably amply compensated for...
>
> I think this is a very nice voting method.
>
> It also can be used both as a single-winner method, and as a PR
> multiwinner method
> (in the sense it acts like "asset voting"), right?
> Another very elegant point.  It also has ideas in common with "DYN"
>   http://www.rangevoting.org/DynDefn.html

SODA is definitely a descendant of DYN.  In my opinion, it comes down to
three improvements that are basically orthogonal.

1. Ballot design - The most important thing here is that the ballot
basically looks like it always has and that voters who bullet vote like they
always have are casting a delegated vote for one candidate, which is an
effective vote.  (Yes there is one extra question at the bottom, but I find
that preferable to forcing people to write in "Do not delegate".)

2. Candidates must exercise their ballots in a way consistent with a
preference order they declared before the election - Helps voters understand
how their ballot might get "extended" and vastly decreases opportunities for
strategy in the delegation phase.

3. Candidates exercise their ballots one-at-a-time in a specific order -
Avoids candidates trying to mislead each other about how they will exercise
their delegated ballots (if they all go simultaneously).  Can eliminate the
"chicken" paradox.

You could apply these improvements to DYN in isolation or in other
combinations, or even mix in other improvements, but together I think they
make quite a strong system.

> On the "sample ballot" on the SODA web page, I do not like the use of
> the word "share."
> I think that word is not the right word.  But I admit I'm unsure how
> best to re-word it.
> "Delegate your remaining approvals" is not the same as "share," is my
> linguistic point.

I agree.  At one point I reworded it to "candidates exercise their delegated
ballots".  But I don't think this is perfect.  Jameson wanted to unify the
language on the whole page, which is good, and went with "share" likely
because it is the most succinct, but I do think it can be confusing for
someone learning about SODA for the first time.

~ Andy