[EM] SODA

Warren Smith warren.wds at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 06:35:40 PDT 2011

http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/SODA

SODA is slightly more complicated for the voter since voter needs to
check box saying she delegates her vote, or not.  Also more
complicated in the sense that there is more information shoved in the
voter's face.
But those deficits are probably amply compensated for...

I think this is a very nice voting method.

It also can be used both as a single-winner method, and as a PR
multiwinner method
(in the sense it acts like "asset voting"), right?
Another very elegant point.  It also has ideas in common with "DYN"
   http://www.rangevoting.org/DynDefn.html

It is not entirely clear to me some other mental hybrid of asset and
dyn ideas, might
not be superior to SODA.  Specifically, SODA
only delegates if you vote plurality style.  But you could also have a
ballot like this:

YES.....NO.....Candidate
___ .....___....A who prefers B>C>D
___ .....___....B who prefers A>C>D
___ .....___....C who prefers B>A>D
___ .....___....D who prefers B>C>A

and if you put down exactly one "yes" and an arbitrary number of "no"s,
then your blank entries get delegated to the candidate you voted yes on.

Is that an improvement or a worsening versus the SODA rules?

I definitely think SODA is a good idea, and I'd like to add a SODA
page or two to the
CRV website.

On the "sample ballot" on the SODA web page, I do not like the use of
the word "share."
I think that word is not the right word.  But I admit I'm unsure how
best to re-word it.
"Delegate your remaining approvals" is not the same as "share," is my
linguistic point.

--
Warren D. Smith
http://RangeVoting.org  <-- add your endorsement (by clicking