[EM] [RangeVoting] Re: Range Voting As an Issue

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Fri Aug 5 19:12:12 PDT 2011

Brought out for special thought:
>> rating is easier than ranking. You can express this
>> computationally, by saying that ranking requires O(n²) pairwise
>> comparisons of candidates (or perhaps for some autistic savants who
>> heap-sort in their head, O[n log(n)]), while rating requires O(n)
>> comparisons of candidates against an absolute scale. You can
>> express it empirically; this has been confirmed by ballot spoilage
>> rates, speed, and self-report in study after study.

This somehow does not fit as to rating vs ranking.  I look at A and B,
doing comparisons as needed, and assign each a value to use:
.     For ranking the values can show which exist:  A<B, A=B, or A>B,
and can be used as is unless they need to be converted to whatever
format may be acceptable.
.     For rating the values need to be scaled.
Thus what needs doing is a trivial bit of extra effort for rating.
The comparison effort was shared.

"Ballot spoilage rates" also puzzle.  Where can I find what magic lets
non-Condorcet have less such than Condorcet, for I do not believe such
magic exists, unless Condorcet is given undeserved problems.

On Aug 5, 2011, at 8:57 AM, Jameson Quinn wrote:
> [...]
> question that the average voter can get away with less strategizing
> under Condorcet than under any of those systems. Range and Approval
> both give significantly more power to a voter who can correctly
> guess which two candidates are the frontrunners; and a conscientious
> voter simply can't leave it up to the law of averages to balance out
> that power between themself and those crazies on the other side. And
> IRV and Plurality both require lesser-evil thinking and favorite
> betrayal, which is worse.
>
> But I would contend that, just as clearly, both Majority Judgment
> and SODA beat Condorcet by these criteria. These are two very-
> different systems, so I'll tackle them separately.
>
> Why is Majority Judgment easier on the voter than Condorcet? First
> and foremost, because rating is easier than ranking. You can express
> this computationally, by saying that ranking requires O(n²) pairwise
> comparisons of candidates (or perhaps for some autistic savants who
> heap-sort in their head, O[n log(n)]), while rating requires O(n)
> comparisons of candidates against an absolute scale. You can express
> it empirically; this has been confirmed by ballot spoilage rates,
> speed, and self-report in study after study. You can look at the
> trend of websites - Yelp, IMDB, Amazon, and an interminable etc.,
> all use ratings. HotOrNot explicitly experimented with FaceMash-
> style comparisons and found that even a single two-way comparison
> was harder for users than ratings.
>
> Second, MJ has, if anything, less of a strategic incentive than
> Condorcet. Balinski and Laraki found that, in a simulation seeded by
> real polled ballots from the 2007 French presidential election, the
> MJ result was more likely to be stable under strategy than the
> Condorcet result. Warren Smith has argued that, if you know who the
> two frontrunners are, a Condorcet burial strategy is essentially
> risk-free, while saving cognitive effort. In MJ, on the other hand,
> chances are that your honest vote is already getting all possible
> benefits from such a strategy.
>
> The last two paragraphs may seem counterintuitive to people who are
> used to thinking of ratings ballots in Range terms. That's because,
> in Range, some amount of strategic thinking is almost totally
> inevitable. It would be ridiculous to mark a Range ballot by simply
> rating each candidate on an absolute scale, without normalizing so
> that you marked at least one max and one min vote. And voting power
> continues to increase as you move towards an approval-style ballot.
> With MJ, on the other hand, even a non-normalized vote with no max
> or min ratings could well have full strategic voting power.
>
> As to ballot simplicity, it's partly a matter of taste. I'd say that
> MJ has the edge over Condorcet, but you might disagree. Of course,
> it would be possible to do Condorcet with a rated ballot, but since
> I don't know anyone who seriously advocates that, I'm neglecting

Condorcet can use THE SAME values as rating - the ratings show what is
needed to identify A<B, A=B, and A>B.