[EM] [RangeVoting] Re: Range Voting As an Issue

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 05:57:20 PDT 2011

If I understand Robert correctly, I think that his concern is to find
whichever system gets good results, while still leaving the voters' job
crystal-clear.  In particular, the first priority would be to find a system
which puts the minimum burden of strategic thinking on the voter. Insofar as
it's consistent with this first priority, his other priorities are to
simplify the ballot and to elect a better winner.

He says that he finds Condorcet to beat Range, Approval, IRV, and Plurality
on those priorities. I can't say I disagree. There is no question that the
average voter can get away with less strategizing under Condorcet than under
any of those systems. Range and Approval both give significantly more power
to a voter who can correctly guess which two candidates are the
frontrunners; and a conscientious voter simply can't leave it up to the law
of averages to balance out that power between themself and those crazies on
the other side. And IRV and Plurality both require lesser-evil thinking and
favorite betrayal, which is worse.

But I would contend that, just as clearly, both Majority Judgment and SODA
beat Condorcet by these criteria. These are two very-different systems, so
I'll tackle them separately.

Why is Majority Judgment easier on the voter than Condorcet? First and
foremost, because rating is easier than ranking. You can express this
computationally, by saying that ranking requires O(n²) pairwise comparisons
of candidates (or perhaps for some autistic savants who heap-sort in their
head, O[n log(n)]), while rating requires O(n) comparisons of candidates
against an absolute scale. You can express it empirically; this has been
confirmed by ballot spoilage rates, speed, and self-report in study after
study. You can look at the trend of websites - Yelp, IMDB, Amazon, and an
interminable etc., all use ratings. HotOrNot explicitly experimented with
FaceMash-style comparisons and found that even a single two-way comparison
was harder for users than ratings.

Second, MJ has, if anything, less of a strategic incentive than Condorcet.
Balinski and Laraki found that, in a simulation seeded by real polled
ballots from the 2007 French presidential election, the MJ result was more
likely to be stable under strategy than the Condorcet result. Warren Smith
has argued that, if you know who the two frontrunners are, a Condorcet
burial strategy is essentially risk-free, while saving cognitive effort. In
MJ, on the other hand, chances are that your honest vote is already getting
all possible benefits from such a strategy.

The last two paragraphs may seem counterintuitive to people who are used to
thinking of ratings ballots in Range terms. That's because, in Range, some
amount of strategic thinking is almost totally inevitable. It would be
ridiculous to mark a Range ballot by simply rating each candidate on an
absolute scale, without normalizing so that you marked at least one max and
one min vote. And voting power continues to increase as you move towards an
approval-style ballot. With MJ, on the other hand, even a non-normalized
vote with no max or min ratings could well have full strategic voting
power.

As to ballot simplicity, it's partly a matter of taste. I'd say that MJ has
the edge over Condorcet, but you might disagree. Of course, it would be
possible to do Condorcet with a rated ballot, but since I don't know anyone
who seriously advocates that, I'm neglecting that possibility.

For results, I think that MJ and Condorcet both do more than well enough. Is
it better to have the candidate who makes some majority happiest, as in MJ,
or the one who has majorities over all the others, as in Condorcet? On
principle, it's hard to say. In the end, I definitely sympathize with Warren
that BR is the best measure of results (while disagreeing that results
should be the end-all criterion). I haven't seen BR results for MJ, but
based on its similarity to Range and MCA, I'd suspect MJ clearly beats
Condorcet by this measure.

If you want to read more about MJ, the place to start are the papers
on Laraki's
home page <http://sites.google.com/site/ridalaraki/majority-judgment>. These
are pro-MJ papers, but honestly, I've found that I got more understanding
even of MJ's flaws from reading these critically, than I did from reading
the couple of shoddy anti-MJ papers that you'll find in a Google scholar
search.

As to SODA, the case is also clear. Less need for strategic thinking than
Condorcet? Check. Simpler ballots? In spades. Good results? If voting blocs
tend to be well-defined so that voters agree with their favorite candidates
— not too excessive an assumption in an ideological, partisan election —
then the CW will win in SODA more often than in Condorcet! That is to say,
honesty will be the strategic equilibrium in SODA, and lead to a CW win; but
in Condorcet, strategy could confound this. In practice, I think that the
only case where the CW will not win SODA is when they're an
relatively-unknown centrist. Such a person can become the CW precisely
because voters do not know their flaws; but in SODA, the other candidates
will evaluate that person much more carefully before they transfer a winning
pile of votes to an unknown.

I've been actively interested in voting systems for going on two decades
now, and sometimes it's frustrating. We continue to argue amongst ourselves
between system A and system B, we continue to invent new system Z, while the
rest of the world basically ignores us.

In that time, it seems as if I've favored everything under the sun. If I
remember correctly, I've gone from Borda, to IRV, to Condorcet, to Range, to
Approval, to Asset, to Bucklin, to Bucklin-which-I-called-MCA, to MJ, back
to Approval, to SODA. So I think I can pretty fairly say that I'm not
fixated on any one system. I also think that I understand the arguments in
favor of different systems.

And I honestly have more hope on this issue right now than I have for some
time. SODA could be the winning combo. Yes, perhaps I'm biased, because I
helped invent it. But if you look at that list of what I've supported, you
won't see any other systems where I'd done more than minor tweaks around the
edges. And that's not for lack of opportunity; I've invented many systems of
my own. It's because I always wanted to back a system which had other
supporters, because we're not going to accomplish anything each working
alone.

What's so great about SODA? I think it would entirely liberate voters from
having to think about strategy. I know that it is the simplest possible task
for the voter. And I expect that it would give great results. These are R
B-J's three criteria, as I understand them, and I agree with them. I know
that other people here might put them in a different order; for instance,
the Range advocates would probably put results (that is, BR) first.

SODA has problems, too. It's an obscure system invented yesterday. And it
doesn't even really lend itself to publishable results; it's hard to prove
anything about it or even do a monte-carlo simulation without making
questionable assumptions about how much or how little voting blocs agree
with their favored candidate. Finally, it cannot work unless the candidates
are human beings; it can't evaluate options without attaching them to
spokespeople. But those problems are can be addressed, one way or another,
with enough time and effort.

I'd still enthusiastically vote for almost any reform to Plurality -
certainly any of the systems except Borda that I listed as having supported.
But I have hope that EM researchers and advocates can start coming together
as we never have before. I'm not saying that everyone will agree with me. I
wouldn't even want for debate to stop. But I think that now is the time to
start laying the first foundations of a new unity, and if you ask me right
now, SODA has the strength to be the cornerstone.

I hope this does not sound too arrogant. Certainly, I am humbled by the many
tasks before us. And no matter how rousingly optimistic my rhetoric,
experience reminds me that getting even two of us to agree on anything is
always harder than you think.

But still; I remain:

Hopefully y'rs,
Jameson Quinn