[EM] [RangeVoting] Re: Range Voting As an Issue

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 19:22:22 PDT 2011

2011/8/5 Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com>

> Brought out for special thought:
>
> rating is easier than ranking. You can express this computationally, by
> saying that ranking requires O(n²) pairwise comparisons of candidates (or
> perhaps for some autistic savants who heap-sort in their head, O[n log(n)]),
> while rating requires O(n) comparisons of candidates against an absolute
> scale. You can express it empirically; this has been confirmed by ballot
> spoilage rates, speed, and self-report in study after study.
>

> This somehow does not fit as to rating vs ranking.  I look at A and B,
> doing comparisons as needed, and assign each a value to use:
> .     For ranking the values can show which exist:  A<B, A=B, or A>B, and
> can be used as is unless they need to be converted to whatever format may be
> acceptable.

I'm sorry, I don't understand this sentence.

> .     For rating the values need to be scaled.

There is no need to scale rating values for MJ. In fact, it is not the
intention. A vote of "Nader=Poor, Gore=Good, Bush=Fair" is perfectly valid
and probably fully strategic even on a ballot which includes "Unacceptable,
Poor, Fair, Good, Excellent".

> Thus what needs doing is a trivial bit of extra effort for rating.  The
> comparison effort was shared.
>
> "Ballot spoilage rates" also puzzle.  Where can I find what magic lets
> non-Condorcet have less such than Condorcet, for I do not believe such magic
> exists, unless Condorcet is given undeserved problems.

Right, I was thinking of strict ranking when I wrote that part.

> [...]
> any of those systems. Range and Approval both give significantly more power
> to a voter who can correctly guess which two candidates are the
> frontrunners; and a conscientious voter simply can't leave it up to the law
> of averages to balance out that power between themself and those crazies on
> the other side. And IRV and Plurality both require lesser-evil thinking and
> favorite betrayal, which is worse.
>
> But I would contend that, just as clearly, both Majority Judgment and SODA
> beat Condorcet by these criteria. These are two very-different systems, so
> I'll tackle them separately.
>
> Why is Majority Judgment easier on the voter than Condorcet? First and
> foremost, because rating is easier than ranking. You can express this
> computationally, by saying that ranking requires O(n²) pairwise comparisons
> of candidates (or perhaps for some autistic savants who heap-sort in their
> head, O[n log(n)]), while rating requires O(n) comparisons of candidates
> against an absolute scale. You can express it empirically; this has been
> confirmed by ballot spoilage rates, speed, and self-report in study after
> study. You can look at the trend of websites - Yelp, IMDB, Amazon, and an
> interminable etc., all use ratings. HotOrNot explicitly experimented with
> FaceMash-style comparisons and found that even a single two-way comparison
> was harder for users than ratings.
>
> Second, MJ has, if anything, less of a strategic incentive than Condorcet.
> Balinski and Laraki found that, in a simulation seeded by real polled
> ballots from the 2007 French presidential election, the MJ result was more
> likely to be stable under strategy than the Condorcet result. Warren Smith
> has argued that, if you know who the two frontrunners are, a Condorcet
> burial strategy is essentially risk-free, while saving cognitive effort. In
> MJ, on the other hand, chances are that your honest vote is already getting
> all possible benefits from such a strategy.
>
> The last two paragraphs may seem counterintuitive to people who are used to
> thinking of ratings ballots in Range terms. That's because, in Range, some
> amount of strategic thinking is almost totally inevitable. It would be
> ridiculous to mark a Range ballot by simply rating each candidate on an
> absolute scale, without normalizing so that you marked at least one max and
> one min vote. And voting power continues to increase as you move towards an
> approval-style ballot. With MJ, on the other hand, even a non-normalized
> vote with no max or min ratings could well have full strategic voting
> power.
>
> As to ballot simplicity, it's partly a matter of taste. I'd say that MJ has
> the edge over Condorcet, but you might disagree. Of course, it would be
> possible to do Condorcet with a rated ballot, but since I don't know anyone
> who seriously advocates that, I'm neglecting that possibility.
>

> Condorcet can use THE SAME values as rating - the ratings show what is

Right, that's what I was trying to say. But I said that I think most people
don't actually suggest pressing for doing it that way in real life.