[EM] The worst about each system; Approval Preferential

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Wed May 26 18:47:38 PDT 2010

At 09:33 PM 5/26/2010, Kathy Dopp wrote:
>Abd ul,
>
>I agree with virtually everything you say here.

Thanks.

>  However, I would also
>consider that an excellent system for electing one winner would be
>"approval, every voter votes for up to two candidates, followed by a
>runoff of the top two vote getters".  It solves some of the problems
>of a simple runoff election, avoids the spoiler effect I think, and is
>very fair.  Although it does seem to always require a runoff election.

Would you agree that if only one candidate gets a majority in this
approval election, and it is a form of approval, a runoff is
unnecessary? A runoff might only be needed if (1) there is no
majority, or (2) there are two majorities, which is more iffy.

There is already an excellent system that is not terribly different
from this, and the only difference between how it was used is that it
wasn't coupled with a runoff for majority failure. And I'm suggesting
a couple of tweaks. I'd be thrilled just to see original Bucklin
restored, it worked, and it's a much better system than the
propaganda has claimed.

Perfect, almost, for a primary election in a runoff system, because
it's much better at finding *real* majorities than IRV.