[EM] A method "DNA" generator, tester, and fixer

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 26 16:42:51 PDT 2010

On May 27, 2010, at 1:43 AM, Kevin Venzke wrote:

> --- En date de : Mar 25.5.10, fsimmons at pcc.edu <fsimmons at pcc.edu> a
> écrit :

>> The following criterion is similar to Plurality.  Does
>> it have a name?
>>
>> If the number of ballots on which X beats Y is greater than
>> the number of
>> ballots on which Y is ranked, then Y cannot be elected.

>> Any decent method that doesn't satisfy it?
>
> This criterion is strictly stronger than Plurality, so I'd have to ask
> whether you think any decent methods fail Plurality. Probably the
> answer
> is no, not really.

This says that all typical margins based Condorcet methods would not
be "decent". One could ask the question also in the reverse direction.
All methods violate some criteria that look good at least at first
sight. Which property of the plurality criterion (or the new
criterion) makes it a mandatory requirement for all election methods
(or Condorcet or ranked methods)?

Juho