[EM] A method "DNA" generator, tester, and fixer

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Wed May 26 15:43:06 PDT 2010

Hi Forest,

--- En date de : Mar 25.5.10, fsimmons at pcc.edu <fsimmons at pcc.edu> a écrit :
> Kevin,
>
> The following criterion is similar to Plurality.  Does
> it have a name?
>
> If the number of ballots on which X beats Y is greater than
> the number of
> ballots on which Y is ranked, then Y cannot be elected.
>
> It is satisfied by Approval, Bucklin, and Beatpath(wv).
>
> In the case of Beatpath, the one step path from X to Y is a
> beatpath of greater
> strength than any path that begins with Y, as long as we
> are using wv to measure
> defeat strength.
>
> Also, my minimum reluctance method satisfies the
> criterion.
>
> Any decent method that doesn't satisfy it?

This criterion is strictly stronger than Plurality, so I'd have to ask
whether you think any decent methods fail Plurality. Probably the answer
is no, not really.

I don't think we (probably Chris and myself privately) have thought of
this exactly, but I believe we had types of "pairwise Plurality" where
if X's pw opposition to Y was greater than Y's pw opposition to anybody,
then Y couldn't win.

This generalizes Plurality in the same direction that we can generalize
MD, so (pairwise) Plurality becomes a stronger form of pairwise MD.

Kevin