[EM] Proportional election method needed for the Czech Green party - Council elections

Peter Zbornik pzbornik at gmail.com
Sun May 9 09:30:54 PDT 2010

Dear Markus Schulze,

thanks for your reply.
Basically, I have to come up with some method or way to select one of the
two rankings you gave for A10, A12, A23, A33, A67.
That is a real problem.

Maybe we could use approval voting in this case to reduce the number of
candidates (hopefuls), I don't know.
These things happen in regression too when there are too many candidate
variables and too few data (forgot what it is called), therefore it is
standard to add a requirement that each variable (candidate) should be
significant in a univariate model at, say 5% or so in order to qualify as a
candidate in the multivariate model.
This requirement could for instance translate to a requirement of
eliminating the first X candidates, with the lowest Schulze-single winner
ranking (or the lowest share of preferences of the candidate on first M
places of the ballot) in the Schulze-STV election.
That heuristic could eliminate the candidates before they enter the model
and might resolve the ambiguities in some of the elections you describe.
R Fobes mentioned using approval voting to pre-select candidates.

I would like to send you an input file, but first I have to generate some
test-data.
I could start with some fictive elections, since we don't use ranked ballots
in our party.
A full-scale test will take some time to arrange.

By the way, out of pure curiosity, could a hybrid ranked ballot, i.e. a
ballot on the form A=B>C=D>E, be used in Schulze-STV in theory, without
sacrificing any of the good properties of the method?

Best regards
Peter Zborník