[EM] Meta-criteria 9 of 9: Conclusion

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Fri May 7 08:48:12 PDT 2010

Hi Jameson,

--- En date de : Ven 7.5.10, Jameson Quinn <jameson.quinn at gmail.com> a écrit :

Thanks for your response. You have some interesting points about utility not necessarily being summed. As to whether the majority principle is fundamental even though it can contradict utility: in my schema, you'd defend such a position with arguments grounded in legitimacy and/or expressivity, and quite possibly couched in terms of fairness/honesty (that is, strategy).

For me, the argument is that majority usually *is* consistent with utility, and you won't
often have any better indicator of utility.

But ignoring majorities will tend to create legitimacy and strategy problems as well.

Kevin Venzke