[EM] [ESF #1101] Why Not Condorcet?

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Wed May 12 21:40:48 PDT 2010

On May 12, 2010, at 9:58 PM, Dr. Carl S. Milsted, Jr. wrote:

> Condorcet is not simpler! Describing the results of a Condorcet
> election requires an NxN matrix. Makes my eyes glaze and I have a
> math degree. Most citizens do not. The potential for cycles is also
> frightening. Bush/Gore was bad enough.

So a BS was the limit of what I could afford.  Years after that I
finally got to see a real computer and my later life included
maintenance and language design for such.  None of which makes my eyes
glaze more or less when I think of explaining how Condorcet uses such
matrices to a reasonably intelligent audience.

What some are doing with cycles is a bigger challenge, but
understanding their potential should be adequate and possible for most.

> But even the ballot for Condorcet is complicated. Writing in the
> numerical ordering for a ten candidate ballot is challenging. You
> better allow pencils, since we'll need the ability to erase -- which
> is not good if you like tamper proof ballots.

For either Range or Condorcet, and desiring to vote for more than 2 or
3 candidates, it makes sense to prepare before going near a ballot.
Any ballot design usable for Range would be suitable for the single
digit numbers adequate for Condorcet.

The deciding?  Ordering per magnitude of liking does it for Condorcet;
Range requires distributing ratings to get desired gaps between them.

> Netflix manages to have a user friendly form for ordering (time)
> preference for movies, but it requires quite a bit of JavaScript and
> animation to work. Would require rather sophisticated voting
> machines to manage that interface.

Above I cover designing a ballot and reading what the voter did. Here
deciding what it means is unique to Condorcet, but not especially
complex programming

> Range voting can be done using the same "fill in the dot" interface
> we all remember from standardized tests. I guess we still have some
> people too old to have taken such, but everyone below 50 at least
> has mastered this interface. Range voting is much simpler than
> Condorcet.

IRV usage of 3 ranks demonstrates such to be usable for Condorcet.
Range NEEDS more than 3 ratings.  Condorcet would be happy with as
many ranks as get offered to Range ratings.

> Moreover, I have experimented with both Range and Condorcet at the
> club meeting level. Condorcet was a nightmare. Range was easier than
> Robert's Rules.

Again, ballot design and reading what got voted is at least as easy
for Condorcet as for Range.  Processing what got read is different,
but not especially difficult for Condorcet (unless given an especially
complex set of rules for resolving cycles).

Dave Ketchum