[EM] Why Not Condorcet?

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Fri May 21 10:02:59 PDT 2010

At 09:23 PM 5/19/2010, robert bristow-johnson wrote:
>increasing the signal-to-noise ratio can be done two ways:
>
>    1.  increasing the signal content (only the sender can do that).
>
>    2.  decreasing the noise content (both sender and receiver can
>        do that, but for the receiver to do it without effort might
>        be like performing surgery with an chain saw)

Nah. I write a lot, and someone who finds my writing a waste of time
can simply elect to not read it, quite simple, which can be done
easily with a filter, as Mr. Bristow-Johson has noisily informed us
many times. I use Mailwasher as a spam filter that deletes mail on
the server so that all that is left of it is a record that rotates
out over time of the mail and the first N lines, configurable.

If it's like performing surgery with a chain saw, it must be that
what is being cut off is (at least partly) valuable in some way. What
Mr. Bristow-Johnson appears to want is for me to do the work so that
he can read more easily. Sure. Excapt that what he's effectively
asking me to do is perform surgery with a chain-saw, to excise
material that I think *he* won't be interested in. But others might,
plus I do learn by writing.

And many kindly read it and correct my errors, it's a major reason I
write for these lists.

It's not true that the signal content can be increased easily, except
by proportionally more work. Only noise can be decreased, and noise,
in this case, is in the mind of the reader, not necessarily in the
original content I write. It's all there for a reason. I'm often
writing for readers who will come along later.