[EM] Proportional Representation Systems I'd Support

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Wed Mar 24 09:01:28 PDT 2010

Raph Frank  > Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 11:01 PM

In relation to the Swiss Federal Parliament election system

> It is like a cumulative voting version of MMP, but there is
> no mechanism for a candidate to win without being a member of a party.

No, it's not at all like MMP.  In MMP half or more of the members are elected from single-member electoral districts (usually by
FPTP).  The "additional members" in MMP are elected by party-list (usually closed-list) taking into account the single-member seats
already won by each party.  That is quite different from the party-list voting system used for the Swiss Conseil National.

JG