[EM] Proportional Representation Systems I'd Support

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 16:00:58 PDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Bob Richard
<lists001 at robertjrichard.com> wrote:
> Google turned up this description of the Swiss electoral system:
>
> http://www.democracy-building.info/particularities-switzerlands-proportional-election-system.html

Thanks.

So, from my read, it is party list, but with cumulative voting to
decide which candidates in each party win.

However, you can only give a maximum vote of 2 to any one candidate.

Voters can start with a recommended list from a party.  They can
cancel one or more candidates from the party's list.  If they do that,
they can give those votes to other candidates (including double for
one candidate).

Also, there is no requirement that you vote all your cumulative votes
for candidates from the same party.

It is like a cumulative voting version of MMP, but there is no
mechanism for a candidate to win without being a member of a party.