[EM] Proportional Representation Systems I'd Support

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 10:31:04 PDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 4:01 PM, James Gilmour <jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk> wrote:
> No, it's not at all like MMP.  In MMP half or more of the members are elected from single-member electoral districts (usually by
> FPTP).  The "additional members" in MMP are elected by party-list (usually closed-list) taking into account the single-member seats
> already won by each party.  That is quite different from the party-list voting system used for the Swiss Conseil National.

Sorry, I wasn't clear at all.  I was thinking of the decoy list issue with MMP.

What I meant was that it is like MMP in that the voters have a party
vote and an additional vote using a different method.

It is immune to decoy lists since it doesn't elect anyone directly.
The additional vote is purely used to decide which members of the
party are elected.  Also, it is single constituency based.

It does have the advantage that it is summable.