[EM] Condorcet question - why not bullet vote

Juho juho.laatu at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 12:04:36 PDT 2010

Some more viewpoints that were not covered very well yet.

1) Typical (=all common) Condorcet methods make pairwise comparisons
and derive the results from those comparisons. Changing one's vote
from A>B>C to A>B=C does not change the pairwise comparison results of
ones favourite (A) against the others. The second vote does say B=C
although the true opinion of the voter is B>C. That helps C and hurts
B when these two are compared (these might be the two strongest
candidates, and not indicating one's opinion in this pairwise
comparison could change the winner from (sincere) B to C).

2) There are few cases where not giving one's sincere opinion may
improve the result. It is however a fact that in almost all situations
giving one's sincere preferences is the wisest thing the voter can do.
It is not easy to identify and efficiently use those exceptional cases
in Condorcet elections. For a regular voter in large public elections
sincerity is clearly the best strategy to follow.

Juho