[EM] Condorcet question - why not bullet vote

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Wed Jun 16 11:58:24 PDT 2010

Hi Peter,

--- En date de : Mer 16.6.10, Peter Zbornik <pzbornik at gmail.com> a écrit :
>In what situations will bullet voting help my candidate to win
>(considering the advanced Condorcet systems)?

The simplest is probably the one you gave. For example:

43 A
27 B vs. B>C
30 C>B

If B voters don't give any second preference then generally B will win
(depending perhaps on the particular method). But if B voters give a
second preference for C then C will win.

If B voters believe C voters will give them support then they could
decide to bullet vote, as they can be confident that A will either win
outright (as majority favorite) or suffer a pairwise defeat worse than
B's loss to C.

Kevin Venzke