[EM] IRV vs Plurality

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 05:48:43 PST 2010

For the record, I like approval voting and think it would be among the
best, if not the best, first step as an alternative voting method to
plurality.  However, I also think Condorcet is OK as long as voters
are not required to rank all choices, to alleviate the point Abd ul
mentions below somewhat.  Really, the only methods I would object to
are the fundamentally unfair ones like IRV/STV that treat voters'
votes differentially and thus produce very undesirable election
results and remove the rights of some voters to fully participate.
Approval, if courts OK it, is by far the simplest to count, audit,
explain to voters, etc. and is probably the best first step.  Using
IRV/STV as a first step may turn off people to alternative electoral
methods for a very long time after they realize how deeply they've
been misled on how it works, its effects, etc.

I am now going to, for the most part, soon drop out of participation
in this list again for the Spring semester at college.

Kathy

--

Kathy Dopp

Town of Colonie, NY 12304
phone 518-952-4030
cell 518-505-0220

http://utahcountvotes.org
http://electionmathematics.org
http://kathydopp.com/serendipity/

Realities Mar Instant Runoff Voting
http://electionmathematics.org/ucvAnalysis/US/RCV-IRV/InstantRunoffVotingFlaws.pdf

Voters Have Reason to Worry
http://utahcountvotes.org/UT/UtahCountVotes-ThadHall-Response.pdf

Checking election outcome accuracy --- Post-election audit sampling
http://electionmathematics.org/em-audits/US/PEAuditSamplingMethods.pdf