[EM] IRV vs Plurality

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Wed Jan 20 17:48:31 PST 2010

On Jan 20, 2010, at 11:18 AM, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:
> At 03:01 AM 1/17/2010, robert bristow-johnson wrote:
>> On Jan 17, 2010, at 12:53 AM, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

> If rating is supposedly so hard, why don't we notice that requiring
> a voter to rank when the voter has no significant preference is also
> hard?

Looking at Condorcet:
      Bullet voting, ala Plurality, is permitted.
      Approval, also permitted.
      Ranking, approving but showing difference in liking, permitted.
      Rating, being able to indicate strength of difference in liking,
not permitted or required - meaning no need or ability to compensate
for what other voters might do with such.
one, there is no requirement for indicating difference of preference
among such.