[EM] A Comparison of the Two Known Monotone, Clone Free Methods for Electing Uncovered Alternatives

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Fri Dec 3 01:39:35 PST 2010

fsimmons at pcc.edu wrote:
> To my knowledge, so far only two monotone, clone free, uncovered methods have
> been discovered.  Both of them are ways of processing given monotone, clone free
> lists, such as a complete ordinal ballot or a list of alternatives in order of
> approval.

I think Short Ranked Pairs also passes all these. To my knowledge, Short
Ranked Pairs is like Ranked Pairs, except that you can only admit X>Y if
that will retain the property that every pair of affirmed candidates
have a beatpath of at most two steps between them.

See
http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2004-November/014255.html
. The definition of a short acyclic set of defeats was later changed,
and the new definition is at
http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2004-November/014258.html

I also guess you could make methods with properties like the above by
constraining monotone cloneproof methods to the Landau set (whether by
making something like Landau,Schulze or Landau/Schulze). I'm not sure of
that, however, particularly not in the X/Y case since the elimination
could lead to unwanted effects.

Is one of the two methods you mention UncAAO generalized?