[EM] A Comparison of the Two Known Monotone, Clone Free Methods for Electing Uncovered Alternatives

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 20:13:36 PST 2010

OK, so what's DMC? Feel free to link to an electowiki description or old
post, you don't have to rewrite the description.

Or... well, I guess I can figure it out - it's approval bubble-sorted by
pairwise. And it's apparently monotone and clone-free, but not uncovered. So
if the approval order is A>B but B is the pairwise champion (CW), then a
"caricature of B", B', who beats B but loses to A, can stop B from winning
DMC, but will not stop them in DMC/Covering Chain. Am I right?

Still, I think that DMC is "good enough" in practical terms; I don't think
that the (debatable) benefits of the other methods are worth the extra
complication. "The most-approved candidate who could beat all more-approved
candidates" is actually pretty easy to understand.

JQ