[EM] Proportional election method needed for the Czech Green party - Council elections

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 06:09:49 PDT 2010

2010/4/27 Raph Frank <raphfrk at gmail.com>

> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 7:19 AM, Jameson Quinn <jameson.quinn at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Why not:
> > - ranked votes
> > - STV for council. Keep track of which members are elected first and
> second,
> > one of them will be VP.
> > - Condorcet winner among the councilmembers is P. (You could use original
> > ballots or have the council revote.)
> > - VP is first councilmember, or, if that person is P, second
> councilmember.
>
> The order of election with PR-STV shouldn't be used to determine VP,
> all seats are equal.

Why?

Actually, it could be "first seat", or "plurality winner", which is mostly
equivalent. This would help IFF you wanted to increase decrease the
probability of a simple majority disproportionately sweeping P and VP. Since
it's only VP we're talking about, the chance of plurality-style strategy is
slim.

JQ