[EM] Proportional election method needed for the Czech Green party - Council elections

Jonathan Lundell jlundell at pobox.com
Mon Apr 26 19:02:01 PDT 2010

On Apr 26, 2010, at 5:54 PM, Juho wrote:

> On Apr 27, 2010, at 3:22 AM, Jonathan Lundell wrote:

>>> The STV election that follows may also reduce the incentives to try the burial strategy. That is because (in addition to burial not being a very efficient strategy in the first place) the benefit would be only to get a better P but not more voting power in the board, and because the modified vote could well contribute to the benefit of the competing sections in the proportional election.
>>
>> It's a reasonable argument (though the STV election should go first), if the voters are reasonable and if they regard the P office as less important than the makeup of the board--that depends on how the office is defined, I suppose.
>>
>> Another alternative would be to hold a separate P election (new ballots) once the board is defined. Or to let the board elect the officers from amongst themselves. That appeals to me, actually, again depending on the definition of the roles.
>
> A fully separate P election would make the board less proportional - unless the elected P would have voting power only if he/she is already a member of the board.

That wasn't my suggestion. Rather, one would hold an STV board election, and then elect P from the proportionally elected board. Depending on the role of P, the voters for P would be the at-large membership or the board itself (the latter makes sense if P/VP is largely an internal role, as opposed to an external independent executive).