[EM] Proportional election method needed for the Czech Green party - Council elections

Andrew Myers andru at cs.cornell.edu
Mon Apr 26 12:50:57 PDT 2010

On 7/22/64 2:59 PM, Peter Zbornik wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax
> <abd at lomaxdesign.com <mailto:abd at lomaxdesign.com>> wrote:
>
>     At 04:24 PM 4/25/2010, Peter Zbornik wrote:
>
>         Hi,
>
>         I am a member of the Czech Green party, and we are giving our
>         statutes
>         an overhaul.
>         We are a small parliamentary party with only some 2000 members.
>         Lately we have had quite some problems infighting due to the
>         winner-takes-it-all election methods used within the party.

>     The best way to handle council officer electinos is within the
>     council itself, and repeated ballot is the standard way to do it;
>     these officers should serve at the pleasure of the council, they are
>     servants of the council. Thus ordinarily majority vote is adequate,
>     and simple.

I'll be surprised if a version of asset voting is appealing to these
folks. To me, asset voting has always sounded very similar to Soviet
"democracy". A multistage process with a hierarchy of voters creates
rich opportunities for various forms of coercion, and distances voters
from the choice of leaders even more than they are now. That's the way
it worked in the Soviet Union, and I'm sure the Czechs are familiar with
the history.

-- Andrew

-----
Andrew Myers