[EM] Proportional election method needed for the Czech Green party - Council elections

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Mon Apr 26 18:48:03 PDT 2010

At 03:50 PM 4/26/2010, Andrew Myers wrote:

>I'll be surprised if a version of asset voting is appealing to these
>folks. To me, asset voting has always sounded very similar to Soviet
>"democracy".

This is downright weird.

>  A multistage process with a hierarchy of voters creates rich
> opportunities for various forms of coercion, and distances voters
> from the choice of leaders even more than they are now. That's the
> way it worked in the Soviet Union, and I'm sure the Czechs are
> familiar with the history.

Asset doesn't resemble what the Soviets had in the least.... There is
no "party" control, parties become unnecessary with Asset.

It's also not necessarily "multistage." If voters fear coercion of
small-scale electors, they can decide, in advance, to give large
numbers of votes to single candidates whom they trust. Those
candidates will simply be elected, and will have extra votes to
distribute, and if they could be coerced when they hold that many
votes, they could be coerced, period.

I find the response fascinating, because what is being proposed is
what solves the problems that have prevented the promise of democracy
from being realized.

I remember a friend who, when I described delegable proxy, said, "Oh,
I could never trust anyone with my vote." Now, I hadn't suggested
that the proxy could *actually vote* for her, those who know the
proposals would know that. But this is the reality: Because she will
not trust anyone with her vote, someone is nevertheless voting for
her -- based on her existence in the population, since seats in
Congress are based on population -- whom she did not trust, almost
certainly. The choice is not whether or not someone will vote for
her. Someone will. The choice is whether or not she will choose this person.

One aspect that I suspect might be operating. As long as people
imagine they are powerless, they imagine they are not to blame for
what happens. After all, it's "them." But what if we actually do have
power? And we don't use it? Horrors! We might then be to blame for
the Bad Stuff that happens!

And this is the fact: the people have the power, but we do not
believe it is possible to use it. So the machine rolls on, unperturbed.

In order to use the power, people are just like capital. Capital is
powerful because it is organized and because it can be spent for
purpose with an efficient decision-making system. The people have
more power than the corporations, and that is easy to show; corporate
power is almost entirely dependent upon the people and the choices
that people make. But the people are not organized.

What's stopping them? Some will say that the corporations are
preventing it, but I strongly suspect not. I don't think the
corporations believe it is possible for the people to organize
either! No, the obstacle is what we are seeing right here, with this
charge of "Soviet democracy." I don't for a second think that Mr.
Myers is a stooge of the corporations. He's merely ignorant. (As we
all tend to be when encountering new ideas that we haven't actually
explored. Ignorance can be fixed, if we don't get attached to it.)

We will organize anyway, whether Mr. Myers likes it or not. He can
join us, or not. We are not going to coerce him.