[EM] Proportional election method needed for the Czech Green party - Council elections

Peter Zbornik pzbornik at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 12:39:34 PDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax <abd at lomaxdesign.com>wrote:

> [...]
>
> That is, any direct democracy can vacate the office of chair and elect a
> new chair, at will (following the rules for meetings). The purpose of a
> chair of a democratic meeting is only to ensure orderly process, so that
> members can be heard and decisios aren't railroaded through. A dominating or
> over-controlling chair in a real democratic organization is quickly gone, a
> chair who knows how to facilitate consensus, who is trusted to be fair, can
> serve without limit.
>

> The rest of the board members are elected by block-voting
>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plurality-at-large_voting) in the
>> following way:
>> 1. A candidate who gets 50% of the vote is elected
>> 2. In the second round, candidates with less than 25% of the votes are
>> eliminated
>> 3. In the third round, candidates with less than 30% of the votes are
>> eliminated. Now only 40% of the votes is enough for election.
>> 4. New elections are arranged for the rest of the mandates, where
>> candidates who got at least 20% of the votes in the previous election
>> rounds can run as candidates in new elections:
>>

> Cumbersome and guaranteed to be divisive. It's not representative, it's
> majoritarian. Any faction that can muster 50% can control the entire
> council. To them, that might sound great, but if the goal is a united party,
> it's not. The party will gradually alienate members, who will either shift
> to other alternatives or who will remain with lessened enthusiasm. It will
> not build strength, except erratically.
>

> DELIVERABLES FOR IMPLEMENTATION:
>> In the end, if proportional elections are to make their way into the
>> party statutesm, then I have to deliver the following:
>> 1. a proposal of a text to the statutes, describing the election rules
>> and procedures
>> 2. a motivation of the proposal which shows why it is better than the
>> present one.
>> 3. a vote counting computer program which works
>> 4. preferably a ballot scanning program
>> 5. preferably some good examples that the system works in real life.
>>

> Proxy voting works for businesses, but it's often deprecated for membership
> organizations where there is no ownership interest. My sense of that is that
> this keeps voluntary organizations weak, because the members don't "own"
> them.
>
> Delegable proxy worked for Demoex in Sweden, but it was a limited
> application for a limited time, and I don't recommend it where secret ballot
> is involved, except as a voluntary (informal) structure to facilitate
> amalgamation under Asset voting.
>
> The best PR system in terms of producing decent factional representation is
> STV-PR, and others can explain how to do it. There are programs that exist.
> But with 400 ballots, counting ballots is trivial.
>
> Has it occurred to you to wonder why, with 2000 "members," you only get 400
> ballots? I can tell you, it's pretty simple.

We have 400 ballots because the local organizations elect their delegats to
the natonal rally, where the national council is elected. The election of
these delegates have its own irks and quirks, this is another scenario,
which I would like to discuss separately.

> [...]

> FA/DP organization think it is time for that.
>

> 2] 30-60% of the voters are "dishonest" - the roughly regional election
>> case
>> 3] 20% of the voters are "dishonest" - this is roughly the local election
>> case
>>

> I don't think that the characterization as "dishonest" is correct. These
> voters honestly believe that doing what the leaders tell them is the best
> thing. They trust the leaders! (Or they have a concept of political power
> that follows the strong-leader model, i.e., they believe that we must have
> strong leaders to be effective; it's a very old idea, rooted in a reality:
> autocratic structures were more efficient than tribal, collectivist,
> consensus-seeking structures and thus more functional in war, so autocratic
> societies came to dominate. However, autocratic structures are weak compared
> to hybrid structures that incorporate democratic techniques, which is why
> pure autocracies have largely disappeared or are in retreat, everywhere. For
> maximum power, my opinion, we will see tribal, collectivist models return
> that incorporate sophisticated structure that allow them to find and
> amalgamate consensus on a large scale.
>
> It requires synthetic understanding that does not merely rail against the
> obvious abuses of power that arise with oligarchies, but that incorporates
> oligarchical functions into a place in a larger, inclusive structure.
>

> Currently I am considering Re-weighted range voting and range voting,
>> since it fulfills the criteria above, but other simple-to-understand
>> methods could be used.
>> Maybe the RRV system will have be reduced to approval voting for the
>> high dishonesty scenario.
>> This would lower its attractivity.
>> A contender to the RRV-range voting system is the STV-IRV system used
>> by the green party of the USA, since it evidently works, but is more
>> difficult to understand than RRV: see
>> http://www.gp.org/documents/rules.shtml#section7
>>
>> QUESTIONS:
>> Please propose a voting system fulfilling the criteria above with the
>> given assumptions, and answer the following questions:
>>
>> 1. if the proposed election system is as simple to understand as RRV
>> and range voting,
>> name what advantages and disadvantages it has to RRV and range voting.
>> Alternatively, which specific variant of RRV and range voting do you
>> recommend for the elections described above (normalization of voter
>> scores, number of categories, given that 70-90% of the voters vote
>> strategically)?
>> To clarify: Asset voting is excluded for this election type, since we
>> have problems with transparency and political support.
>>

> Asset is utterly transparent, and the Election Science Foundation steering
> committee election showed that it works, it rapidly negotiated a
> three-member steering committee from 17 voters, with unanimous support.

I can provide experience from that election if requested. As the board
> [...]
> *elected.* They basically are assigned proxies from members who don't plan
> to attend. This can be done through an Asset election. The election results
> would be reported to the national organization: N voting members of the
> party, named, voted. The results are reported, and each delegate who shows
> up can exercise, at the national party conference, as many votes as they
> received. Obviously, not more than N votes can be exercised by the entire
> group! These delegates, though, may also name a proxy to vote for them, as
> well as exercising all the votes they "own," should they not be present. So
> collectively, if the group wants to, they can send a single delegate with
> proxies for the entire group. I bet it would happen a lot. But if anyone
> wants to go, as long as they got one vote, they can attend with voting
> rights.

> (Any member who voted in a local Asset election cannot vote on their own at
> the national conference, because they already gave their vote to someone.
> But a local member who did not vote could go and, if a voting member of the
> Party, could vote directly at the national conference. Or these members
> would also be able to name a proxy. And to prevent possible problems with
> proxy voting, the Party would seriously encourage all voting members to name
> a proxy expected to attend. These are open proxies, though, and if the
> member then attends and votes, they are not effective. Decisions at a
> national conference like this will be fully democratic, representing the
> entire membership, as long as a majority is required for any decision.)
>
> The big problem with proxy voting, as experienced by the Libertarian Party
> in Colorado, is if proxy voting is allowed but it isn't actively encouraged.
> Then someobody figures out that they can go around locally soliciting
> proxies, and they show up at the state conference with a pile of proxies and
> can outvote everyone else, who didn't collect proxies. In other words, if
> proxies arrive unexpectedly, it can warp the decisions. The problem wasn't
> proxies themselves, but a habit of not using them!
>
> One of the European Green parties had a supposed problem with proxies.
> Proxies were being used there. The anarchist faction came out in force for
> the national party meeting, and had more direct votes than others, but when
> proxies were considered, more centrist Greens prevailed. The anarchists
> screamed that this was unfair. But it actually was fair, more fair than
> assuming that those who have more time to show up and attend are the true
> representatives of the party members.....
>
> This participation bias is one reason why straight voting at meetings
> causes extremist factions to prevail in orgranizations, the extremists are
> often much more highly motivated. But as they take over a party, the party
> loses strength, as more moderate members desert it. Winning is losing.

The nomination of delegates is an issue, which I would like to discuss in a
separate discussion.
I aggree with your basic line of reasoning.

> b] Is one election enough to give an unambiguous winner, even if the
>> president is elected by the margin of one vote?
>> The talk about RRV not electing the Condorcet winner makes me a little
>> nervous.
>> The election of the president has to be unambiguous, and several
>> elections is not a problem.
>>

> If you are going to hold a single-winner election, I highly recommend
> Bucklin-ER with runoff if there is no election in the first round. And, in
> fact, if you are doing elections at a meeting, Bucklin simply is more
> efficient, and you can hold all the rounds you need.

Could you please send a description of this method?

> c] if you reverse the election order, i.e. first you elect the board
>> members, then the president and the vice presidents, and lastly you
>> elect the president? This order of election seems to be more simple to
>> conceptualize.
>>

> Sure. But you can, in fact, let the board elect the president. Just make
> sure that the board is accurately representative!

> d] what are the main advantages of the your preferred method to the
>> current election system?
>>

> Bucklin is really the same as a series of simulated approval elections.
> Approval can fail to elect a Condorcet winner, but only to elect a
> more-widely-approved winner. If Bucklin is terminated with having found a
> majority for only one candidate, this must be a Condorcet winner, if there
> is one. Range is more complex; if you are going to use Range (and you can do
> Bucklin using a Range ballot, and I'd recommend it), then make sure that
> there is an explicit Approval cutoff. Note that some systems using Approval,
> such as Papal elections for a long time, required a supermajority. If you
> are voting at a meeting, you can elect with a supermajority on a ballot, or
> the meeting can, at any time, by majority vote, decide what it wants,
> understanding that an election by a bare majority can, under some
> conditions, harm the unity of the party. If a majority don't mind that, then
> either it isn't going to be a problem, or you have a problem with the party
> itself, a majority don't care about its unity!
>
> What Bucklin does in simulating multiple rounds of approval is to lower the
> approval cutoff. The input ballot is really a kind of Range ballot, and you
> can allow the approval cutoff to slide down as low as you want. With
> standard Bucklin, the lowest rank is "bare approval," more or less "I don't
> mind rating, I'm (minimally) willing to accept this result." On a pure Range
> ballot, you'd want to set an explicit approval cutoff, which I recommend as
> mid-range. The ballot, then, allows determination of majority approval, and
> ratings below a majority are used when needed to assess how far short of
> approval some candidates are, when compromises must be made to complete the
> election.
>
> You can do anything you want if a ratification vote is held and passes by a
> majority. I.e., you could use, even, Plurality and then someone could move
> the election of the leader, and if a majority accept that, it can be
> considered done. But I've mentined the risks.
>
> You can use a Range ballot in the same way.

It sounds intersting to me, but I really need to understand the basics of
approval voting and Bucklin and the combination with a range vote, and how
this will achieve proportionality. The method seems to be really complex and
untried.

> [...]
> majority wants something other than this, I highly recommend jumping ship,
> it's hopeless. Do something better with your life, you won't regret it.
>
> Educate majorities, don't fight them.
>

> Specific questions for RRV:
>> f] what is the minimal number of votes a person needs in order to be
>> elected (if all voters except for one put an "X" for the candidate and
>> the last voter puts maximum points, is this candidate normally
>> elected?)
>>
>> 3. If the following exists for your selected election method, could
>> you please provide a reference to:
>> a] a text which describes the election procedure and can be used in
>> statutes (preferably a text in existing statutes)
>> b] an explanation of how the voting system works and an explanation of
>> the vote counting procedure for a person who knows nothing about
>> election methods. For RRV I do not understand the d'Hondt style
>> re-weighting. Why d'Hondt? Why does it give proportional
>> representation?
>> c] an open-source program for windows which makes it easy to count the
>> votes, once you have entered the data in the computer.
>> d] a list of organizations, which use the method
>>

> Basically, if you do what others do, you will end up like them! So, to
> simplify this, you can look around and see who you want to imitate, and then
> use their structure. If there isn't anyone you would like to imitate, then
> understand that if you adopt existing structure, you will become like
> existing organizations. Your "superior political philosophy" won't protect
> you from the nature of organizational structures, which create persons to
> fill the roles they facilitate.
>

> 4. As we have to count the ballots quickly, I would appreciate a tip
>> on the following:
>> a] A tip of a good and cheap and open source system for creating and
>> digitalizing paper ballots.
>> b] Alternatively a free electronic voting system with the same
>> security level as a paper ballot system could be used, preferably with
>> paper ballot receipts, which would be counted later for confirmation
>> of the vote.
>> If you know of any such system, please let me know.
>>

> For the number of voters you are describing, and for usage once a year,
> say, or less, you are trying to set up a sophisticated system to do a simple
> job. There are on-line services which offer voting systems, I believe, and
> some might describe some here, some of thse may be free.
>
> Using a sophisticated voting system to try to amalgamate some ideal
> representation from an instant set of ballots misses the opportunity for the
> election process to be a broad discussion involving all the members, so that
> those elected do know the views and opinions of the entire membership. The
> model, then, becomes, in effect, if you just elect by rapid amalgamation, is
> the strong-leader model, which will create the sheep you described.

I can aggree with the discussion being an integral part of the election, and
I guess this could be addressed too. But that is an other discussion.