[EM] A different "strategyproofness" notion

Warren Smith warren.wds at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 16:31:54 PDT 2009

I did not claim naive-exag-strategy is always rational.

I merely asked what are the consequences of assuming people do it.

In fact, in Australia, it appears at least about 85% of the voters use
naive-exag-strategy with IRV voting -- despite the Lundell claim it is
not rational since IRV satisfies later-no-harm.  This percentage is
easily sufficient to prevent third-party candidates from winning IRV
seats.  And indeed, in the last 3 Australian house election cycles
(150 IRV seat-elections per cycle) combined, the total number of
third-party candidates elected, was zero out of 450, despite an
average of about 7 or 8 candidates per seat.

It appears real-world voters do not care much about what Jonathan
Lundell considers to be rational.   Personally, I wish (and I daresay
he wishes) voters were more like me (him).  But they are not.

--
Warren D. Smith
http://RangeVoting.org  <-- add your endorsement (by clicking