[EM] (Possibly) new method/request for voting paradoxes. :)

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sun Oct 11 13:30:43 PDT 2009

What is the point to all this?  Looks much more complex than I sketch
below, but I do not see value in the extra effort:

For 10 candidates, fill a 10x10 matrix - for A vs B need an entry
counting A>B and one for B>A.

With luck about 9 comparisons will identify winner since each
identifies a non-winner.

If A>B = B>A, keep both for the moment.  If they lose to another, that
ends them.  If all others lose to them, we have a tie.

Could be cycles.  Comparing winner against 8 losers should identify
innocence vs guilt.

Dave Ketchum

On Oct 11, 2009, at 12:00 PM, Michael Rouse wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Dear Michael,
>>
>> very interesting, I don't think I saw anything like this before.
>>
>> When trying do evaluate a new method, I always try to check very
>> simple
>> criteria first, like neutrality and anonymity (obviously fulfilled
>> here), Pareto efficiency, monotonicity, etc. Concerning the latter
>> two,
>> I was not able to verify them for your method yet. I think you should
>> focus on those before checking more complex things like Condorcet
>> efficiency and so on!
>>
>> Also, immediately a ratings-based generalization came to mind (using
>> ratings differences instead of rank differences). Finally, when only
>> seeking a single winner, you could alternatively build a score for
>> each
>> option X by adding all entries of the final matrix in rows labeled
>> "XY"
>>  and columns labeled with positive differences.
>>
>> Yours, Jobst
>>

>> Michael Rouse schrieb:
>>
>>> As usual with such posts, there is a good chance someone has come up
>>> with the same (or very similar) method, but I thought it had
>>> interesting
>>> properties, and was wondering what glaring voting paradoxes it
>>> had. In
>>> addition, the number of possible orders is overwhelming if there
>>> are a
>>> large number of candidates, and I'm not sure that can be simplified.
>>> Finally, Thunderbird sometimes seems to have weird formatting
>>> issues in
>>> email, which may screw up the following into unreadability.
>>>
>>> With that in mind, here it is.
>>>
>>> Step 1: For each ranked ballot, create a matrix for each pairwise
>>> vote,
>>> based on the distance and direction between each candidate. For
>>> example,
>>> on the ballot A>B>C, you would get:
>>>
>>>        -2    -1    0    1    2
>>> AB    0     0    0    1    0
>>> BA    0     1    0    0    0
>>> AC    0     0    0    0    1
>>> CA    1     0    0    0    0
>>> BC    0     0    0    1    0
>>> CB    0     1    0    0    0
>>>
>>> Taking the rows in order, this shows that A is one position higher
>>> than
>>> B on this ballot, which conversely makes B one position lower than
>>> A on
>>> the same ballot. Also, A is two positions above C (C is two
>>> positions
>>> below A), and B is one position above C (or C is one position
>>> below B).
>>> Such detail may be unnecessary -- simply looking at position 1 and
>>> above
>>> is sufficient, if you don't allow ties -- but I wanted to show the
>>> symmetry.
>>>
>>> Step 2. Add all matrices together. As a simple example, let's
>>> consider
>>> the following 12 votes in a circular tie (to make it interesting):

>>> 3: B>C>A
>>> 4: C>A>B
>>>
>>> Taking the first line, A>B>C =
>>>
>>>        -2    -1    0    1    2
>>> AB    0     0    0    1    0
>>> BA    0     1    0    0    0
>>> AC    0     0    0    0    1
>>> CA    1     0    0    0    0
>>> BC    0     0    0    1    0
>>> CB    0     1    0    0    0
>>>
>>> Multiplied by 5 gives you:
>>>
>>>        -2    -1    0    1    2
>>> AB    0     0    0    5    0
>>> BA    0     5    0    0    0
>>> AC    0     0    0    0    5
>>> CA    5     0    0    0    0
>>> BC    0     0    0    5    0
>>> CB    0     5    0    0    0
>>>

>>> Taking the second line, 3: B>C>A =
>>>
>>>        -2    -1    0    1    2
>>> AB    3     0    0    0    0
>>> BA    0     0    0    0    3
>>> AC    0     3    0    0    0
>>> CA    0     0    0    3    0
>>> BC    0     0    0    3    0
>>> CB    0     3    0    0    0
>>>

>>> And finally, taking the third line, 4: C>A>B
>>>
>>>        -2    -1    0    1    2
>>> AB    0     0    0    4    0
>>> BA    0     4    0    0    0
>>> AC    0     4    0    0    0
>>> CA    0     0    0    4    0
>>> BC    4     0    0    0    0
>>> CB    0     0    0    0    4
>>>
>>> Adding these together gives you
>>>
>>> (5: A>B>C, 3: B>C>A, 4: C>A>B) =
>>>
>>>        -2    -1    0    1    2
>>> AB    3     0    0    9    0
>>> BA    0     9    0    0    3
>>> AC    0     7    0    0    5
>>> CA    5     0    0    7    0
>>> BC    4     0    0    8    0
>>> CB    0     8    0    0    4
>>>
>>> Step 3: This is where a bit of a curve is thrown in. Looking at each
>>> position on the matrix, determine which is less -- the sum of the
>>> numbers above the current position, or the sum of the numbers
>>> below the
>>> current position -- and add that number to the value of the current
>>> position. In essence, this is adding the value of a position to the
>>> value of all other positions away from the median. Output that
>>> number to
>>> a new matrix in the appropriate spot. Using the numbers above, you
>>> end
>>> up with:
>>>
>>>        -2    -1    0    1    2
>>> AB    3     3    3    9    0
>>> BA    0     9    3    3    3
>>> AC    0     7    5    5    5
>>> CA    5     5    5    7    0
>>> BC    4     4    4    8    0
>>> CB    0     8    4    4    4
>>>
>>> Step 4: Looking at each possible preference order, add the values
>>> for
>>> the appropriate positions on the matrix, and choose the preference
>>> order
>>> with the highest score. Using the above values and excluding ties:

>>> positions] = 9+8+5 = 22
>>> B>C>A = 8+7+3 = 18
>>> C>A>B = 7+9+4 = 20
>>> A>C>B = 5+4+0 = 9
>>> C>B>A = 4+3+0 = 7
>>>
>>> So the ranking of possible orders is

>>> C>A>B = 20
>>> B>C>A =18
>>> A>C>B = 9
>>> B>A>C = 8

>>> order.

>>> As another example (ignoring a few pages of work), here is a set of
>>> ballots used in the Schulze Method entry in Wikipedia:
>>>
>>> 5:A>C>B>E>D
>>> 5:A>D>E>C>B
>>> 8:B>E>D>A>C
>>> 3:C>A>B>E>D