[EM] (Possibly) new method/request for voting paradoxes. :)

Michael Rouse mrouse1 at mrouse.com
Sun Oct 11 09:00:58 PDT 2009

This method always selects the Condorcet winner if there are an odd
number of voters with no ties or circular ambiguities. *With respect to
a particular candidate,* the other candidates must form a single
uniquely-preferred rank order, with a single peak in ranking score at
the (composite) median voter -- if the median voter places B one place
below A, the median voter cannot also rank C one place below A, unless
both B and C are tied. The converse is also true -- if A is one place
above B, C cannot also be one place above B. If you had a rank order
with the Condorcet winner anywhere other than first position, you could
always raise the total score by moving the Condorcet winner up the
ranking, because the median voter would rank the Condorcet winner above
the other candidates. I *think* this means that the final result will be
the Condorcet order (in the absence of ties), but I haven't tried
checking it yet.

Of course, if there are no voters at the median ranking (for example, if
exactly half of the voters ranked A as first place and half ranked A as
last place, with no voters in the middle -- which is why I mentioned "an
odd number of voters" above), you will have a range of ranks with the
same score. For example, combining the votes  A>B>C and B>C>A will
result in a tie between those two rankings, even though a case can be
made that B>A>C would be the preferred ranking, if one must be picked.
So there are probably a whole host of paradoxes out there, in addition
to the ones inherent in Condorcet methods. :)

For ratings differences, do you mean on a range-type ballot? That might
be an interesting path to look at. And do you have an example of the
before and after matrices for your positive difference suggestion?

Michael Rouse

PS Of course, it's entirely possible that I made a mistake in reasoning
somewhere, so I would be interested in any counter-examples where the
Condorcet winner (or Condorcet order) did not match the winner in this
system.