[EM] A Proportionally Fair Consensus Lottery for which Sincere Range Ballots are Optimal

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Sat Nov 21 01:39:36 PST 2009

Folks,

you probably overlooked that I have already described a variant which
works *completely* without Random Ballot and will definitely elect one
of the top-3 range options (as determined from the 'strategic' ballot):

> Method "Range top-3 runoff" (RT3R)
> ===================================
>
> 1. Each voter separately supplies
>    a "nomination" range ballot and a "runoff" range ballot.
>
> 2. From all "nomination" ballots, determine
>    the options A,B,C with the top-3 total scores a>b>c.
>
> 3. Let L be the lottery in which B wins with probability
>    p = max(0,(2b-a-c)/(b-c))  and C wins with probability 1-p.
>
> 4. Let q be the proportion of "nomination" ballots
>    on which the lottery L has an expected rating
>    below the rating of A on that ballot.
>
> 5. Option A wins if,
>    on at least the same proportion q of all "runoff" (!) ballots,
>    the lottery L has an expected rating
>    below the rating of A on that ballot.
>    Otherwise B wins with probability p and C wins with probability 1-p.

So if you want it to be as deterministic as possible, you can do it like
this or similarly. If you modify it further and set q=1/2, you even get
a majoritarian version if you want that.

Yours, Jobst