[EM] strategy-free Condorcet method after all!

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Nov 15 04:38:05 PST 2009

One can thwart strategic voting in general by hiding the algorithm
that makes the decision who wins. Instead of collecting perfect poll
information (that voters are supposed to use accurately when they
decide how to vote) one could upgrade the poll answers to actual
ranked votes. The randomness / uncertainty could be introduced by
determining the rules (in the case of a top level cycle) only after
the votes have been collected (e.g. in using the randomization
mechanism of the reverse Llull method).

If the method is Condorcet compliant voters may try to create a top
level cycle if they don't like the expected Condorcet winner (that
they guess based on some earlier polls etc.). Artificial cycles
however typically include also candidates that are worse than the
current winner and the candidate that one tries to promote. If one can
not guess which one of the cycle members (or other candidates if that
is allowed) will win then the benefits of strategic voting may easily
be close to zero.

Polls are usually more sincere than actual votes. But actual votes may
be one step more sincere if voting is heavily based on the polls but
one's actual vote is independent of what one said in the polls.

The basic procedure was thus to collect ranked votes first and only
after that decide the randomish procedure / algorithm input that is
then used to decide which one of the "almost tied leading candidates"
wins.

Juho