[EM] Anyone got a good analysis on limitations of approval andrange voting? (long)

Matthew Welland matt at kiatoa.com
Mon Nov 9 20:48:33 PST 2009

Thanks all for the discussion and pointers. I still can't concretely
conclude anything yet but here are some rambling and random thoughts based
on what was said and my prior experiences.

Plurality
Leads to two lowest common denominator parties which are not accountable to
the voters. This conclusion supported by real world observation.
Feels right to the non-critical mind, "one man, one vote"
Very fast at the polls
Approval
Encourages participation of minor parties and thus should keep the big guys
paying attention to a wider base.
Almost zero marginal implementation cost. Hanging chads count just fine :)
Understandable by anyone but feels wrong at first "not fair, you get more
than one vote".
Apparently has a terrible flaw but no one seems to be able to articulate it
in layman terms. No real world experience available to illustrate the
problem. Here is where I need to learn more. Data provided to date is
unconvincing to me.
Does not meet the desire of some to be able to differentiate between "I
like", "I like a lot" etc.  (note: this seems like perfectionism to me.
Large numbers of  voters and opinions all over the bell curve should make
individual expression at the greater level of granularity irrelevant.)
Very fast at the polls. Pick yer favorites and head home for beer and telly.
Range
Can break the vicious cycle of plurality
Not voting for someone at all can have a strong influence on election
outcome. This is very non-intuitive and would take some getting used to.
Allows for nuanced voting.
Pain in the ass at the polls (relatively speaking). You can't safely
disregard the candidates you don't care about so you *have* to assign
everyone a ranking, possibly addressable by defaulting to zero for all
candidates? This is considered a feature and I agree it has merit. But in
reality it is a deal breaker for joe six pack and co. (and for lazy sobs
like me).
IRV
Demonstrably broken. 'nuff said.
Suite of complicated systems that strive to reach "Condorcet" ideals.
No regular bloke would ever trust 'em because you can't explain how they
work in one or two sentences.
Technically superior to other systems.
Not clear what problem with approval they would solve. Unless you are a
perfectionist and insist that individuals express nuances of opinion...
Some time ago I put together a site (primitive and unfinished[i]) to promote
approval voting and in the process I spent a lot of time trying different
systems on the web and repeatedly testing my own site. I noticed some
interesting things from all that playing around.
It was very uncomfortable to go back to plurality after trying other
systems. It "feels" unfair and broken.
It was very tedious voting in any of the ranking systems.
Approval felt boring but good.
I have checked in on this list now and then and I admit I don't have the
time or skills to follow all the arguments but it strikes me that approval
voting is good enough to break the deadlock, at least in US politics and
that it doesn't have any major flaws. The very understandable desire to be
able to articulate in a finer grained way in your vote is perfectionism. With
millions of voters, for every person on the fence about a particular
candidate there will be some to either side who will essentially make or
break the vote. If you are on the fence, approve or disapprove, it won't
matter.
So, to re-frame my question. What is the fatal flaw with approval? I'm not
interested in subtle flaws that result in imperfect results. I'm interested
in flaws that result in big problems such as those we see with plurality and
IRV.

[i] www.approvalvote.org